Teeth Cleanings & Checkups in San Diego
At La Jolla Dental Care, we understand that coming to the dentist for a checkup might not be your favorite activity. But we also know that regular dental checkups and teeth cleaning in our La Jolla, San Diego office will keep your teeth healthy and strong. And because the mouth is the gateway to your entire body, regular teeth cleanings and dental checkups can help keep the rest of you healthy as well!
Thorough and comfortable dental checkups
When you come to us for your first visit, La Jolla Dentist Dr. Han will make sure that you get a comprehensive dental exam. A regular dental checkup and teeth cleaning in San Diego with Dr. Han and your hygienist will always include:
- X-rays: Our x-rays are digital, so they are low in radiation and very precise. Dr. Han will use your x-rays to help him evaluate or spot decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Dr. Han will check your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: We will carefully check your gums and bone around your teeth for any signs of periodontal disease. We probe six different spots around each tooth on every patient at every visit. These probings are archived for reference at each subsequent visit. (As a point of reference, some of the gum specialists, periodontists, in our area probe only once a year).
- Examination of tooth decay: We make sure to check all tooth surfaces for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: We'll check your current dental fillings, crowns, etc., to make sure that they are in good shape and doing the job.
Gentle, professional teeth cleaning in La Jolla
Our hygienists are very popular with our patients. In addition to thoroughly cleaning your teeth and gums, during your San Diego & La Jolla teeth cleaning, our hygienists will help you understand how best to care for your teeth between cleanings and dental checkups.
While they are working, you can watch a movie or listen to music. Your teeth cleaning appointment will be over before you know it!
How often should I get my teeth cleaned?
As a general rule, most people should get their teeth cleaned every six to twelve months. However, people with certain oral health concerns may need to get their teeth cleaned more often. Some risk factors include:
- Fast production of plaque
- Weakened immune system
- Diagnosis of gum disease
- Family history of gum disease
- Poor cleaning habits
- Unhealthy eating habits
- Increased stress or other illnesses
The frequency of your La Jolla teeth cleanings can be determined in conjunction with Dr. Han based on your unique situation. It may seem like an inconvenience, but cleanings are very beneficial to your oral and physical health.
The Importance of Getting Your Teeth Cleaned
Your oral health is closely monitored during every teeth cleaning in San Diego, and you will be checked for certain cancers and diseases. Cavities or other minor problems can become larger and more painful if ignored. Our San Diego dentist will be able to identify and fix minor problems to avoid more complex and involved dental work.
Oral health can be directly linked to other medical problems like strokes and cardiovascular disease, among others. Dr. Han will also able to determine if your oral health is declining, and give you tips to improve your cleaning routine before problems arise.
Unexpected Benefits of Regular Teeth Cleanings
Along with health benefits, having clean and healthy teeth can also impact your self-esteem. People who are dissatisfied with their teeth may cover their mouth when they smile or avoid showing their teeth in photographs. Having the confidence to show off your teeth will allow you to smile freely and look happier.
Increased confidence can positively impact your personal and professional life, too. You may feel self-assured enough to go for that promotion, ask that person on a date, or take other risks that you might not have before.